Cruising Club of America was launched in the winter of 1921-1922
by a handful of experienced offshore sailors interested in
cruising and the development of the cruising type of yacht.
The Club's more than 1,200 members personify the interests, achievement, experience, and love and respect for the sea of the Club's founders. Now in its 85th year, the CCA continues to use the collective wisdom and experience of its members to influence the "adventurous use of the sea" through efforts to elevate good seamanship, the design of seaworthy yachts, safe yachting procedures and environmental awareness.
The Cruising Club of America has no clubhouse or shoreside
base, and no paid staff. Rather, the Club is structured around
national committees that conduct mission-related work and manage
the administrative operations of the organization, and around
geographical Stations that provide regional focus for the membership.
mission-focused committees include Safety at Sea, Offshore
Communications, Technical, Environment, Cruising Guides and
Charts, Bermuda Race, and Awards. The Club is managed
by a Governing Board of Officers and elected members, and operated
by standing committees including Finance, Audit, Nominating,
and Membership, to name but a few.
There are eleven Stations within the Club, each of which
has its own Rear Commodore and officers, and which organize
2012 Officers & Governing Board (to March 2014)
- Daniel P. Dyer III, Commodore
- Frederick T. Lhamon, Vice Commodore
- Stephen E. Taylor, Secretary
- Peter L. Chandler, Treasurer
- William E. Cook, Membership Chair
- John F. Towle, Historian
Governors - Terms Expiring March 2013
- Zia E. Ahari, MD
- Colin E. Couper, MD
- Paul J. Hamilton
- Thomas O'Brien
- David P. Tunick
Governors - Terms Expiring March 2014
- William Barsz
- Leslie Arthur English
- Nancy W. McKelvy
- William B. Read III
- C. Tanner Rose
Rear Commodores 2013
- Stephen W. Kempe, Bermuda
- Kinnaird Howland, Boston
- Alexander MacMillan, Bras d'Or
- T. Coleman duPont II, Chesapeake
- Richard C. Holliday, Essex
- Donald J. Krippendorf, Florida
- J. W. Robert Medland, Great Lakes
- Hiroshi Nakajima, New York
- Gilman Middleton, Pacific Northwest
- Zia E. Ahari, San Francisco
- Jerry Montgomery, Southern California
Vincent Monte-Sano II Esq.
James D. Phyfe, Esq.
Alton J. Evans, Jr.
Edwin G. Fischer, MD
Rev. James R. Whittemore
December 11, 2012